Wednesday, June 24, 2009

If you miss the ball DON'T miss the bone

The past two days have flown by:

Tuesday morning we woke up early and headed back to the hospital in Kumasi to bring Curtis' insurance card along with a women from the orphanage to stay with him (the pastor spent Monday night with him). He looked a little better when we got there and Pastor Nelson told us that he ate breakfast. Unfortunately he didn't keep it down for too long. We waited around the hospital while he got some x-rays done and tried to sort out some issues with the insurance card. The good news is he does not appear to have TB but now the doctors must check for other reasons as to why he is so sick. We also ran into a few problems with the insurance card, like the fact that it says he was born in 1937! We had to head back to Obuasi with Pastor Nelson to get it sorted out. He took a bus back to the city with the new card. Along the way we experienced first hand what not to do while driving in Ghana and that is go over a curb. We were pulled over by the police but after about ten minutes we were able to continue.

Once we got back to Obuasi we headed to Adullum. One of the older boys, Richard, started my 'formal' lessons in Twi. I learned a bunch of new phrases and am practicing every chance that I get. I also taught him and some of the other boys a few words in Spanish. We also watched the kids play an intense soccer game. I commented on how brutal the kids were with eachother and Richard told me that they play by the rule "if you miss the ball DON'T miss the bone". That pretty much sums up why I'm not too keen on playing!

We left the orphanage and went to the store with a women from the local church, Evalyn. While the ganag went into the store I handed out stickers and talked with the kids from the neighborhood who were excited to see the "obronies". They all loved the stickers and sang me a song. We then headed home to make some eggs for dinner. We expericend a power outage (so did the rest of town) but it only lasted for about 45 minutes. Luckily we had a bunch of flashlights.

Today, Tuesday, Janie and I woke up to go running with our friend Wisdom. Unfortunalty he didn't come by so we just went back to sleep, but we can't say we didn't try. Once everyone woke up we went to the market and bought a fan for Sammy's mom to have since her room is very hot. We went to visit with her and the rest of her family.

On the way home we drove up into the hills by a group of mountains to a goat farm. We picked out a nice goat and tied it up to bring home for the barbaque we will be having tomorrow!

Once we got our goat we headed to Adullum where I spent most of my time helping feed the babies and toddlers their dinner. The workers there have so much patience because some of the children eat so slow! I spent the rest of the time playing games and giving out hugs!!

Bye until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the blog, Genna! Your grandad (Walt) gave me the address and asked me to check it out. Wow, those guys play for keeps! ("If you miss the ball, don't miss the bone.") I do hope Curtis' condition has improved and the docs know what the problem is by now. Also, as a fellow blogger, I appreciate your good writing and the interesting content. Stay safe and well and know that this comes with much admiration ... Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete